Students wishing to declare Women and Gender Studies as their minor need to:
- complete a Request for Declaration of Undergraduate Minor here.
- submit that form along with a copy of their SFSU unofficial transcript to the undergraduate adviser via email (must use SFSU email)
It is recommended that students also check in with the WGS adviser once per semester for academic advising.
A minor in Women and Gender Studies can be useful in conjunction with many majors (e.g. Journalism, Human Sexuality, Counseling, Anthropology, Health Education, Nursing, Sociology).
The minor offers students majoring in other areas a coherent supplementary program in Women and Gender Studies and requires a total of 18 units:
- WGS 200: Introduction to Women and Gender Studies (3 units)
- WGS 300GW: Politics of Gender, Race, and Nation (3 units)
- Four additional WGS electives (12 units)
- core classes (WGS 200 & WGS 300GW) cannot be taken CR/NC
- only 6 units toward the minor can be taken CR/NC
- up to 3 units may be lower-division (classes 100-299)
- on approval of adviser, up to 3 units may be taken outside the WGS department (either in another department at SFSU or from another college/university)